Georgian Manor, Home for the Aged, a fully accredited Long Term Care Facility, is a five level building located two blocks from the main intersection of the town. As the property rises to the rear, the building is split level in nature providing all resident areas with ground level access to patio areas.
Georgian Manor History and Development
Through the acquisition of the vacant General Hospital property Georgian Manor was first established in the town of Penetanguishene by the County of Simcoe. Penetanguishene General Hospital had just completed the construction of a new facility and their original building, a large old home, was no longer needed. The County, in 1957, added a two level addition to the old hospital to accommodate 52 senior citizens. The first resident was admitted to the Manor on July 1, 1957.
It was soon realized that the demand for seniors' accommodation was greater than the supply. In 1961, the original hospital portion of the home was replaced by a new service component, kitchen, laundry, dining room, activity space, and a bedroom wing to accommodate an additional 45 seniors. Space was also provided for live-in accommodation for 5 staff persons.
In 1971, a second addition was completed. This provided a large auditorium, chapel, library, games and craft room, as well as a "Senior Citizens Centre" for the use of Manor residents, together with local senior citizens organizations. Next, approval was received to convert the staff accommodation to residential accommodation for four.
With this change, the Manor reached occupancy of 105.
In the late 1980's approval was given, with an extensive retrofit to add 2 more respite or short stay beds to increase the Manor's occupancy to 107. This most recent retrofit was officially completed in July, 1990. With it the main dining room was enlarged, a maintenance shop and expanded laundry facilities were added. A fifth floor was added providing staff facilities, storage and a link to Penetanguishene General Hospital. The link to PGH provides the residents with easy access to their laboratory and diagnostic services. In return, PGH is able to utilize the auditorium for larger meetings.
In 1991 The Adult Day Care Program was started utilizing space on the second floor. This program serves frail, elderly and/or Alzheimer adults from the community five days a week. This program quickly out grew its' space and in 1995 moved to the present location. A second site, established in 2001, offers a program in Elmvale two days a week.
Many service groups from Penetanguishene use The Manor for meetings. They also boast a strong volunteer group with approximately 130 registered volunteers. Penetanguishene has a proud French culture. Many of the staff and volunteers are bilingual which enable them to speak with most of the residents in their first language. The community is an integral part of Georgian Manor and Georgian Manor is an integral part of the community.